Friday, May 27, 2011

India woos Africa with $5 billion loan package - CNN.com




Indian PM Manmohan Singh (right), Equatorial Guinea President Teodoro Obiang Nguema (center) and Chairperson of the African Union Commision Jean Ping at the opening ceremony of the second Africa-India Forum Wednesday.



Indian PM Manmohan Singh (right), Equatorial Guinea President Teodoro Obiang Nguema (center) and Chairperson of the African Union Commision Jean Ping at the opening ceremony of the second Africa-India Forum Wednesday.





STORY HIGHLIGHTS


  • India is looking to expand its engagement with Africa


  • It has pledged $5 billion credit to African countries to help in their development

  • It also promised $700 million for new institutions and training programs across Africa





(CNN) -- India has ramped up its economic push into Africa, announcing Wednesday a slew of investment and trading agreements with countries across the continent.


Speaking at the second India-Africa Forum Summit in Ethiopia, Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh promised three-year credit lines of $5 billion to African countries to help them achieve their development goals.


"Africa possesses all the pre-requisites to become a major growth pole of the world in the 21st century," said Singh Tuesday, at the first day of the Addis Ababa summit.


"We will work with Africa to enable it to realize this potential," he added.


The loans package comes as a follow up to the $5.4 billion credit Delhi offered at the first India-Africa summit in 2008.





This $5 billion makes a statement that India is continuing to re-engage in Africa seriously.
--Alex Vines, Chatham House






"This $5 billion makes a statement that India is continuing to re-engage in Africa seriously," said Alex Vines, of London-based think tank Chatham House.


With its economy expected to expand 8.5% in 2011-12, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, India is looking to fuel its growth.


"Definitely India, with its growth projections, will need more energy and natural resources to sustain its emerging economy and that requires further deepening engagement in Africa," said Vines.


"Natural resource diplomacy is one of them (strategies for engagement) -- for this be it oil, coal, uranium -- and another is about widening other connections that India has on the continent -- building infrastructure, agriculture expansion," he added.


In recent years, bilateral trade between India and Africa has soared from about $1 billion in 2001 to $46 billion last year.


However, it still lags far behind China. Last year, Beijing's bilateral trade with Africa surpassed $120 billion.


Brahma Chellaney, a professor of strategic studies at the privately-funded Center for Policy Research in New Delhi, says that India is trying to differentiate itself from China.


He says India cannot yet match Beijing's political and economic influence on the continent, arguing that India wants to put the emphasis on building strong, mutually beneficial bilateral ties with African countries.


"India is not trying to catch up with China in resource acquisitions or investments in the mineral and oil fields -- it is trying to catch up with China in terms of geopolitical influence," he said.


"In fact, India cannot compete with China in terms of acquiring mines, oil fields and other resources in Africa. So, it's doing what it is good at, which is to help build infrastructure development in Africa and create goodwill through a positive role," he said.


Singh, who is on a six-day trip to Africa that started Monday, also pledged an additional $700 million for new institutions and training programs across the continent.


As part of the agreements, India will finance the formation of the India-Africa Institute of Foreign Trade in Uganda, the India-Africa Institute of Information Technology in Ghana, the India-Africa Diamond Institute in Botswana, and the India-Africa Institute of Education, Planning and Administration in Burundi.


"That is exactly what India is doing in Afghanistan too," said Chellaney.


"They're building universities, highways, providing infrastructure support there, and as a result India has the highest positive rating of all countries in Afghanistan today, according to U.S. opinion polls.


"India is trying to replicate the same model in Africa," he added.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Everybody, My name is.Mrs.Juliet Quin. I live in Canada and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $ 73,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $ 73,000.00 Canada Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs.Juliet Quin that refer you to him. Contact Dr Purva Pius via email: reply to email (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    Testimony On How My Life was Transform through the help of a Godsent Lender.. Hello everyone, I am Kathie Roper by name, am writing this Testimony because am really grateful for what Dr Purva Pius did for me and my family, when I thought there was no hope he came and make my family feel alive again by lending us loan at a very low interest rate of 3%. Well I have been searching for a loan to settle my debts for the past three months all I met scammed and took my money until I finally met a God sent Lender. I never thought that there are still genuine loan lenders on the internet but to my greatest surprise i got my loan without wasting much time so if you are out there looking for a loan of any amount i would advise you to email Dr Purva Pius via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) and be free of internet scams. thanks... Kathie Roper from California, USA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Mrs.Sandra Bents from Germany, God has bless me with two kids and a loving husband, I promise to share this Testimony because of God favor in my life,2months ago I was in desperate need of money so I thought of having a loan then I ran into wrong hands who claimed to be a loan lender not knowing he was a scam. he collected 2,000USD from me and refuse to email me since. then I was confuse, but God came to my rescue, one faithful day I went to Court after the Case of my friend I share idea with a friend and she introduce me to DR PURVA PIUS LOAN COMPANY, she said she was given 50,000USD by Dr Purva Pius, THE MANAGING DIRECTOR OF DR PURVA PIUS LOAN COMPANY . so I collected his email Address ,he told me the roles and regulation and I followed, then after processing of the Documents, he gave me my loan of 30,000POUNDS .you can contact him on via email : (urgentloan22@gmail.com) I am sure he will help you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you need a loan to consolidate your debt? Are you in need of a loan
    to finance or expand your business? or for car purchase, buying a
    house and other personal loans ETC we give long term loan for five to
    fifty years maximum with 3% interest. You are 100% Guaranteed.
    contact us via email reply to email (urgentloan22@gmail.com)
    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS:
    Full Name:________________________
    Country:_________________________
    State:__________________________
    Sex:____________________________
    Date of Birth:______________________
    Home Address:______________________
    Amount Needed:______________________
    Loan Duration:_______________________
    Cell Phone:_________________________
    Monthly income:____________________
    Purpose for Loan:___________________
    Occupation:_________________________

    ReplyDelete